This is the location where we provide you with insights into the operation and objectives of The ToolPost. A chance to air our views,
maybe sometimes sound off a bit, or simply pass on what we hope is useful advice.
The following articles are currently available for review. Material from the site may be used in a responsible manner elsewhere,
subject to acknowledgement of source(s).
To access the required article, simply click on the link within the relevant summary, below:-
- With the release of its new CompacTool set of turning tools, The ToolPost becomes the first tool supplier, worldwide, to recognise the particular needs of woodturners who work on smaller lathes.
- The ToolPost may now be a leading online source of the finest woodturning equipment but here
its history is traced to its establishment as a humble webshop by owner, Peter Hemsley.
- On the principle that you can't have too much of a good thing, we thought that a little more info about our up-coming Masterclasses with Jimmy Clewes might be helpful.
- If you are a beginner or a seasoned woodturner yourself, or if you have a significant other who practices in this under-appreciated art, then you may be interested in the latest Valentine's Day gift ideas
from The ToolPost.
- The ToolPost goes a long way to assisting enthusiastic woodturners and carvers with the development of their skills by providing the best quality and most affordable woodturning tools, but it's rare that one
gets the opportunity to learn from a true master.
- New Year brings New Resolutions - and woodturners are no exceptions. We thought we'd like to share some thoughts with you on the subject.
- With Christmas close upon us, the giving of gifts becomes uppermost in the thoughts of many. Here are a few woodworker's gift ideas to get the juices flowing!
- Selecting a new lathe is always a little fraught so let us help with this resume of five good
reasons for checking out the WivaMac range of superior woodturning lathes.
- The Autumn Open House
at The ToolPost will present a further cornucopia of delights with master turners Chris Eagles, Heinz Wiedemann and Horst Weber showing the way.
- The ToolPost strives to bring new information to the attaention of practitioners of the woodworking crafts is as meningful a manner as possible. In the latest of events which are not-to-be-missed, there
will be opportunities for turners to meet the creative minds behind some of the best regarded tools, in the 'Meet the Maker' series.
- As one would expect from one of the country's foremost providers of woodcarving and woodturning tools and accessories, The ToolPost is passionate about health and safety in the workshop.
- With more different woodturning tools on display than any other store, the ToolPost is truly a One Stop Shop
for turning and carving enthusiasts and professionals alike.
- Tools and machinery may be one side of the equation, but every workshop needs accessories
. The ToolPost features a huge selection from which to choose.
- Users of the Sorby Pro Edge belt sharpening system will be pleased with the new range of high-performance, low-cost, European-manufactured abrasive belts for the system now available from The ToolPost.
- Selection of a lathe is a critical part of assembling the tools and equipment for woodturning. The ToolPost can help you in the selection of your next lathe.
- "To finish first, you must first finish" is an epithet equally as true in woodworking as in athletics. General Finishes, from the USA are truly among the first in finishes.
- In calling our company The ToolPost we were recognising the importance of this piece of equipment -
the toolpost - in enabling the turner to work successfully at the lathe.
- The ToolPost is a specialist retailer
- just how specialised becomes more apparent when you contemplate the fact that this modest shop in Oxfordshire stocks more different woodturning tools than any other shop here or abroad - and ships them all around the world.
- We cannot emphasise too frequently just how important respiratory protection is for woodworkers - and especially woodturners. One particular hazard that is often ignored is that of ambient dust - a problem
addressed by the range of Microclene ambient air filters.
- Glenn Lucas proves himself to be not only a Master Woodturner, but also a master creator of
instructional DVDs for woodturners.
- Kelton Tools of New Zealand have recently released a truly versatile heavy duty scraper capable of reaching almost any situation. Not for nothing is it called the Multi-Axis Scraper.
- The latest addition to The ToolPost's range of CBN grinding wheels is a 40 mm wide version to suit eight inch wheel high speed grinders for sharpening woodturning tools.
- The ToolPost Spring Open House 2012
will feature demonstrators from home and abroad, including Gerry Marlow, Philippe Bourgeat and Heinz Wiedemann.
- It can be difficult to find the right gifts
for all the family over the festive period, and whether it is for Christmas or another religious festival, or a birthday or special occasion, some people just seem to have everything.
- This January why not make a New Year's resolution that is easy to stick to and enables you to better enjoy woodworking?
Many woodturners and home woodworkers are only now coming to realise the dangers posed by dust in the home workshop. The ToolPost has led the movement to persuade home woodworkers, and especially woodturners to be more aware of the dangers and to use proper
respiratory protection equipment.
- The ToolPost has become synonomous with quality woodturning lathes, thank in no small part to the excellence of the WivaMac range of lathes.
- The recent changes in VOC regulations
are affecting woodworkers at all levels with new types of finishing products being required to avoid breaking the law.
- The ToolPost is renowned as a supplier of premium tools for woodturning, wood carving and fine woodworking. A "one-stop-shop" for woodturners indeed!
- The name Rolly Munro has become synonymous in the turning community with works of woodturning art and the creation of some superlative hollow forms. Rolly will be at The ToolPost on September 2nd & 3rd
to give free woodturning demos.
- Abranet is an abrasive mesh product
which was originally designed for refinishing motor body filler but which has now found favour in both the woodcarving and woodturning community. The ToolPost stocks this product in a wide variety of grit grades.
- Tool sharpening is a critical skill for all woodworkers. At The ToolPost we keep an unparalleled selection of sharpening tools suitable for all disciplines.
- June 3rd and 4th saw the first of The ToolPost's 2011 Open House events. The 'star turns' at the Spring Open House were Nick Agar and, from France, Benoit Averly.
- The key to successful woodturning is a quality woodturning lathe
– one which has been chosen specifically to suit the requirements of the individual turner. The ToolPost stocks premium lathes and keeps a well-stocked demo room so that potential users can try them out.
- Simon Clements is a regular guest tutor at The ToolPost in Didcot, Oxfordshire and the 9th April 2011 will see him lead a hands-on workshop: Sharpening Carving Tools.
- Decorating turned wooden items has become very "fashionable" in woodturning circles. The latest introduction from Henry Taylor Tools is The Decorating Elf, an amazingly versatile and easy-to-use decorating tool.
Health & Safety
is often a contentious issue when it apparently forces the closure of village fetes and stops kids playing with conkers - but in the real world, there are clear issues which must be addressed by any woodworker who values his health.
- February 2011 brings the opportunity for the woodturning community to witness one of its masters in action. Glenn Lucas will be giving two one-day masterclasses at the ToolPost.
- 'Mastering Woodturning – Tools & Techniques', the New DVD from Glenn Lucas, is available now from The ToolPost.
- The Fastest and Coolest-Cutting Grinding Wheels on the Market! CBN (Cubic Boron Nitride) wheels revolutionise tool sharpening.
- Workholding devices for woodcarvers have an unfortunately oft-deserved reputation for poor engineering and inferior performance. WivaMac, the specialist manufacturers of carving machines in Begium produce
a range of excellent carver's clamps, distributed in the UK by The ToolPost.
- Beall Tools of the USA are supplying their sole appointed UK and European Distributor with
spindle taps in a variety of thread forms, making the creation of demountable workholding fixtures a simple task.
Hunter hollowing tools, developed by
carbide tip technology expert, Mike Hunter, have proven to be the most successful of their genre and are now in the hands of some of the most respected wood turners around the world.
- The ToolPost has helped woodturners to discover the superior wood finishing that woodworking abrasives provide and to understand why it is that
some abrasives and techniques produce better results than others.
- The ToolPost understands that while woodturning is an art, there is something wholly satisfying about applying this art to the creation of a practical item for everyday use. The Cera-Star ceramic condiment mill mechanisms available from The ToolPost can form the basis of a useful and satisfying woodturning project.
- The last weekend of June 2010 saw the latest of the perennially popular 'Open House'
events from The ToolPost. This leading supplier of woodturning,
woodcarving and woodworking tools and equipment to woodcraftsmen around the world regularly throws open its doors and hosts a weekend of demonstrations. This year's Spring Open House proved that the renown of
The ToolPost and its Open House events is spreading: demonstrations from some of Europe's finest woodworking talent – some never before seen in the UK – drew a record number of visitors and contributed to an
extremely successful event.
- The extensive selection of power carving equipment available from The ToolPost online store includes the
Saburr Carbide Rotary Tools
for which The ToolPost is the UK/Eire distributor. These excellent, non-clogging cutting tools are one of the most effective ways to quickly remove wood, yet leave a smooth, clean surface.
- Due to the inherent dangers of using chainsaws and similar aggressive power tools, power carving is not for the fainthearted. Using Arbortech carving discs
is a safer way to achieve success in the art of power carving, bringing the joys of power carving to a wider audience of woodcarvers and woodturners
- It has often been difficult to find Olivewood
in large dimensions in the UK. The ToolPost has an excellent range of top quality Olivewood imported from Italy and available in large sizes in both bowl and spindle blank forms.
- Excellence in finishing is something that sets great work apart from the merely good!" The
Beall Wood Buff is an easy way to take the next step to creating a perfect finish on your wood turned projects.
- One of the woodworking calendar's "don't miss" events is The ToolPost Open House. The Spring Open House was held on June 25th and 26th 2010.
- Edge tools perform better when they are honed after sharpening. The ToolPost stocks a range of honing devices which simplify and speed the honing process.
- The ToolPost are the UK and Ireland distributors for the Kelton (Kel McNaughton)
range of advanced woodturning tools, including the world-renowned favourite centre-saving tools, the Kelton Mk8 Centre Saver.
Dust hazards in the workshop
are better understood today then ever before yet many woodworkers still ignore the risk. Economic and efficient products are available to limit this hazard, both personal respirators and dust extractors.
- ToolPost offer Masterclass
with Woodturning Legend Rolly Munro, April 15th - 16th.
- ToolPost agreement with Henry Taylor Tools results in lower prices for these premium woodturning tools.
Model T chuck
from The ToolPost affords users of smaller lathes high functionality with low pricing.
- CamVac dust extractors, distributed by The ToolPost, offer the finest dust filtration for use in home and small workshops.
- ToolPost takes over as manufacturer of BCT tools.
Autumn Open House
event announced by The ToolPost: "the best woodturning show south of Harrogate this autumn"!
- Woodturning Made Easy with Les Thorne's 'No Turning Back' DVD at The ToolPost.
- The Beall Pen Wizard
reaches UK and European audience through The ToolPost.
- U'Beaut select ToolPost as sole UK dealer for Shellawax wood finishing products.
- ToolPost to provide lathes for demonstrator's use at AWGB International Woodturning Seminar
Sam Maloof, Woodworker Extraordinaire:
Think About It!
- A personal reflection by Peter Hemsley on some of the attitudes observed amongst the tool buying and using fraternity, made with the tongue only ever so slightly in the cheek!
ToolPost appointed as OneWay distributor for UK.
Research indicates that wood is a safer material in contact with foodstuffs than currently recommended
alternatives. Information that has been known for some time but which seems to be frequently forgotten as new "scares" about the safety
of - just about everything - are propounded by our nation's perpetual media-fest. Sound information such as this, of importance to the public, should never want for a further hearing!
The ToolPost announces its annual Open House event in Didcot. This event took place on 26th/27th June 2009.